Saturday, September 6, 2008

You Get What You Pay For, and Other Life Lessons

So, as you might be aware Troy is an international man of mystery.

Okay, not really. But he does get to travel quite a bit.

And what did Troy get to do today?




Looks lovely, doesn't it?

And, what, you ask, did I get to do today?



Well, my friend Lara wrote this lovely post about her children frolicing in the remants of Hurricane Hanna.

I, on the hard, wouldn't call what I did for two hours in the rain so much frolicing, as bailing. Well, really, vaccuuming.

I know, you are asking yourself, vaccumming, in the rain?

Yep.

One of our window wells filled with water and flooded our basement.





I know, it looks like fun and you are just wishing you could have been here.

I wish you could have been here too.

Oh, and on a little side note. I have learned once again, that you get what you pay for.

Troy, my dear, sweet husband, was very excited to have found this ROCKIN' deal on a shop vac at Wal-Mart. It was only $20.00.



And, I have to say, it has been a fine little vaccumm...but today, when I really needed it, I found out why it came so cheaply.

Standing in the rain, using the little shop vac was okay when it was just drizzling. But when it began to pour, the little shop vac was overwhelmed.

I finally ran over to the neighbor's house to see if he had another shop vac so that I could use them both.

Well, he pulled out this bad boy...



Need I say more?

Let's just say don't be surprised when the little shop vac goes to the big work room in the sky, and the big red machine is sitting underneath the Christmas Tree with Troy's name on it.

10 comments:

lbugsh2 said...

Oh honey, do you need anything? Maybe a nap tomorrow? Can we say jingle bells all the way to sears?

Andrea said...

Oh, Denise! I wish I could have been there to help. I can't wait to see Troy's excitement when he gets his Christmas present--make sure to take his picture (scrap it, too)!

Charlene said...

I guess this wasn't on your list of projects to do while your hubby is away?? I wish I could help too!

susan said...

Our basement flooded too! It's a good thing Seth always over purchases when it comes to power tools/home improvement items - our shop vac was a life saver. Hope everything is drying out!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Denise! We feel your pain! I've got a great carpet guy that's pretty inexpensive, but we get to use him for our townhouse first.

M said...

So sorry about the flooded basement! When we viewed our house for the first time, the basement was flooded and the owner had no idea. They had a sump pump, but it wasn't working. We were a little worried on Sat. after reading all the reports of incoming rain that the basement might flood again, but it basically drizzled here all day and then went off somewhere else. By the next day it was all sunny again outside.

Amy said...

You need window well covers.

I probably can still get you a discount. Too bad we don't have techs in Virginia....

I hate flooded basements- they are the worst. But having your husband being out of town at the same time.... that's over the top.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't have just threw the kids in the car and headed to a hotel...

I wish I was there to help. Actually I would have sent Ed but I would have taken the kids- does that count? :)

Amberlyn said...

Dang girl, now that the kids are back in school I can't keep up with you!!!!

It's crazy how life gets more crazy when the kids are actually in school!!!

Jolinda said...

Sorry!! Those are the kinds of things you only want to have happen when hubby can take care of the mess while you keep kids out of the mess. Sorry you had to do it on your own.

Robin said...

I swear Troy has all the luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails