Friday, September 12, 2008

Good Times and a Rant

We had enrichment last night and it was a big success.

We had over 40 sisters attend, which for our ward is a really great turn out.

**WARNING**

Rant ahead...skip to the bottom if you don't want to hear me go on.

And while I am on the topic...because this is not something I could ever say at church...hang on, let me just get on my soapbox.

Why don't people come to enrichment?

I know that people are busy.

I know that sometimes the topics don't interest them.

But I also know that this is a program, divinely apppointed, for our growth and spiritual well being...and no matter what you do...some women still choose not to attend.

So, let me just say...YOU may not NEED to go to Enrichment. You may not NEED to get out and be social and learn something...but someone else may NEED YOU to be there...someone may need to feel YOUR spirit, or hear what YOU have to say.

Enrichments, ward activities, youth activites...everything that we do in the church takes somebody's effort and time and hard work...and when you raised your hand to sustain them...you said that you would support them...and that means attending!

You never know what opportunities you miss to have blessings in your life, or to bless the lives of others because you don't feel like it.

ETA: We have babysitting EVERY TIME!


**END OF RANT**

Phew.

Okay, let me climb down now...and just say that last night was really great.

We had some wonderful teachers (thanks to Tamee, Rachel, LeeAnn and Melanie). We had a wonderful meal (thanks to Sheri, Tina, Melonie, Andrea and Barbara).

And, on a lighter note...let me just say, Troy, that apparently, you are not the only one who doesn't like to have their photo taken.

Case in point.



And one more.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Haha! Love that picture of Tamee!

Andrea said...

You may be starting a blog war with those pictures!!

Don't worry...one day I'll gain that testimony. One day...had a great time, though. Who knew food storage could be so fun!

Charlene said...

I am glad you were on your soapbox! For our last enrichment activity their were only three that showed up and one of them was the RS president in charge. We live in a tiny, tiny, tiny branch so we need each sister to be there to help each other out! I remember having a YW activity planned and I only have two YW and neither showed up....Yep, I hear you!

Lia said...

Don't think we're even now. You're ahead, so you better watch out.

Tamee said...

You WICKED women you! You will pay. I have a camera too. The least you could do would be to photoshop 10 lbs off me. Wicked! And with pictures like that of your teachers, how do you ever expect to get people to come to enrichment?
Good times though were had. Thanks for all your time.

Brianna said...

It may have felt like a rant, but those words are true. Thanks for saying them. It was a good reminder of why we do all things in the church...a good way to take "I" out of it and think of these things as something we do for others.
Glad you had a great night!

Anonymous said...

Denise,
You probably don't know me very well..I saw your blog off another blog and thought since I haven't been able to get to know too many sisters in the ward (being in Primary limits things) this might be one way of getting to know them...so, I read your blog (hope you don't mind). I appreciate your comments about enrichment. I do have this comment to add though. There are some of us who would REALLY, really like to go to Enrichment and have everything planned and ready to go and then something always comes up. I really feel like I'm cursed to never attend Enrichment. Last night at 6:50pm my husband calls to tell me the powers that be at Micron threw in a mandatory meeting meaning I would not have the van until 8pm if then (and 6:50 is a little late to find a ride especially from someone who has a car seat). This is just one example, I could go on but I've probably said too much already.
Anyway, cute blog and great thoughts! Rebekah Losee

Lara said...

I love enrichment and only wish we still had it every month...

On the other hand I have to say I would be pretty mad at you too if you started posting candid pictures of me!

M said...

Thought you might be interested to know that back in my NYC ward, I went to enrichment every month because they always had babysitting. In fact, it was the Elder's Quorum who offered it, as a way of supporting their wives, etc. But with Nate gone to class on Thur. nights, I would have to hire a babysitter to go in our new ward which doesn't offer babysitting. I tried once to take my kids with me and I was the only one--it was a huge disaster and I ended up having to leave early. I asked our RS prez once when/if they might offer babysitting, but she said they had tried and it wasn't feasible to do every month, so they gave it up. Don't know what it's like in your ward, if babysitting is offered or not, but if not, that might be a reason some women don't come.

Jolinda said...

I'm glad for that soapbox of yours. Who knows how many people read and never comment? You're reaching people and who knows, maybe they're the ones who need it the most.

That said, I LOVE Enrichment. Like others, I wish we could do it every month! I started a craft night in our branch and some months I'm literally the only one there. This is a time to work on our own projects. So I love taking my computer or taking my scrap stuff and have time without interruption from kids. I did this because I need the time for myself. I figure other people do too. Sometimes people take advantage of the opportunity, sometimes they don't.

I hope we all remember when we serve in other auxillaries that the people in RS miss you!! Don't think you can hide under that rug of YW or Primary. The RS is aware of you and they want you there. Try to make it to any ward activity. Someone has put time and effort to make it a nice night. Don't tell them their time doesn't mean anything to you by not going. Remember how it feels to be the one in charge. If you can't make it, tell them why. It's always nice to know you would have come if it had worked out.
(Good thing that soapbox was nearby!)

Robin said...

I totally agree!

Besides it's all in your attitude. If you decide that you are going to enjoy enrichment and be a support to others, you can't help but have a good time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails