Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Soft Sell

So, I got an e-mail from one of Mikayla's teachers who wanted to let me know that Mikayla had offered unusual and interesting debate during a class discussion about what makes a good president.

I was very anxious to speak to Mikayla when she got home from school to find out what had happened in class.

When she got home I asked her what she had said. She said that she thought a presidential candidate should be honest and moral.

Hummmm.

Do you we actuality live in a day and age when honesty and morality have become unusual and interesting?

And on an unrelated note, Joe stayed home sick from school.

And just to let you know how much our children have learned from our examples...Joe has learned that getting what you want is all about how you phrase it.

After spending the morning moping around, being bored, Joe came to me and said, "Mom, I have been laying around all morning. I think I need some exercise."

Now wait for it...

"Can I play the Wii?"

Yes, BOTH his parents ARE lawyers.

4 comments:

Puhlman said...

I told Don about this and we both couldn't even believe it. I really do not know what this world is coming to. Thank goodness for the gospel. I decided to ask Caleb and Zach to see what they thought was important for our President. Caleb thought loyalty and trustworthy. Zach thought he should be honesty and faithful. Thanks for that post. It helped me to realize that I need to talk to our kids more about issues like this. Great for Mikayla for speaking up for those qualities.

Lara said...

That is really sad that they would consider that unusual! Good for Mikayla in making a stand for goodness there in the middle school. I'm also impressed at the good communication the teacher had with you. Try as we might we could never get any teacher to keep in touch with us at the middle school.

Shelby said...

You should be proud. Way to go (and get what you want in the process).

Amy said...

Good going Joe!

Although it wouldn't work at my house.

Strict rule: too sick to go to school? too sick to play the Wii!

Related Posts with Thumbnails