Thursday, September 4, 2008

Not So Much

**WARNING**

The following may contain strong language inappropriate for parents without middle schoolers.

**WARNING**

So, I knew middle school was going to be bad.

I think middle school is bad everywhere, and I actually think our middle school is okay.

But it isn't making a good first impression!

Mikayla went to middle school orientation last Friday. Parents are not welcome.

Seriously, it was so hard to send her off and just let her go.

Well, she had a whole series of classes that she was supposed to be taking, but the school, instead of putting her into the classes they told us they were going to put her in, they gave her a generic schedule.

Luckily, Mikayla had the presence of mind on Friday to notice that she was not scheduled to take Orchestra and French, so she went to the guidance counselor and had them fix it.

Well, what she didn't know was that her math and language arts classes were both wrong...and the "nice" guidance counselor didn't notice either.

So, after coming home from school on Tuesday, Mikayla knew for sure now that her classes were wrong, so I drove down to the school to speak to the guidance counselor myself. (This was after having called and being told that the guidance counselors were too busy to talk to me and that there wasn't really a point in leaving a message because they weren't going to call me back. Nice.)

So, when I got to the school 20 minutes after school had ended, the guidance counselors had all left for the date. Yeah. Wonder why everything is all messed up?

So, I sat and waited for 45 minutes to talk to the 6th grade administrator. When someone finally came to get me, they said that the administrator was still in the meeting but that they didn't want me to wait any longer, so they took me back.

As I entered the room I found myself greeting the principal and both assistant principals. There's nothing like starting at the top!

The school principal was lovely. She took a copy of the schedule and assured me that she would take care of this first thing in the morning.

Any guesses as to what happened?

Nothing. That's right. Nothing.

So, when Mikayla came home from school yesterday, she came home with EXACTLY the same schedule that she went to school with.

It isn't that it didn't get fixed that makes me mad, it's that when the principal gives you her personal assurance that she is going to take care of it, you expect that, right?

So, I called her. And she apologized and said that she would see to it.

Yeah. I only buy that once.

So, I went to the school today, determined not to leave until they saw me. I took Katie and Becky and decided that they could run wild through the school until someone was ready to help me.

I waited another 45 minutes before they did.

And, when they finally got around to seeing me, they didn't know Mikayla needed a schedule change. (And she had already been there herself, TWICE!)

They did actually changed her schedule, but the only way to make it work, was not only the change every single class that she was taking, but to change every single teacher too!

The best part of it all? If we had gotten it fixed yesterday, she would have been allowed to keep her teaches and just switch periods.

Ack.

Did I mention that the kids swear like sailors, some of the teachers dress like hoochies, and we have already had to have a "what does this word" mean conversation?

I don't like middle school yet.

Is it going to get better?

12 comments:

Lia said...

Parkside wasn't my favorite school either. Glad I only had to deal with them 1 year. On to High School now. So far so good!!

Bringhurst Family said...

"This" drama is Brandon's job. He is the AP at the High School that makes the master schedule and basically schedules and oversee's the counselors who do the adjustments. To bad he doesn't work at your school. He wouldn't have messed it up so bad. But if it was messed up he totally would of hooked you up. So probably the AP that oversees the process is a flop.

Robin said...

I feel for ya Denise.

Amberlyn said...

It has to get better. Sounds like you pretty much started at the bottom. There's no where else to go but up!!!

I am scared out of my mind for my son to be starting middle school. I am SO glad that 6th grade is still in Elementary here.

Charlene said...

That experience is not making it any easier on me for Ethan next year when he starts middle school! AHHHH!!!!

Hilary said...

Schedules in the upper grades are insane.
period.

Puhlman said...

OH Denise. You are not making it easier for me now. This doesn't sound good. And oh not the "what does this word" mean. NO NO NO. Homeschooling is starting to sound pretty darn good right now. WAIT what am I thinking. I could never do that.

The Beatty Beehive said...

Hey darlin, I've survived it three times and just started the fourth time. It's rougher for girls, especially like Mikayla because she is such a sweetie pie. Just give em lots of love and self confidence at home so they can survive the garbage thrown at them every day. Teenagers really are a lot of fun, it's all the other people that make the years so "moody" and insane.

Brianna said...

Good for you for not giving up on it. Also to M for being so persistant. You are raising a smart girl. I'm not looking forward to middle school either!

Anonymous said...

Well, Denise, they obviously haven't met the likes of you yet. You might just have them get their acts in order . . . at least by the time Katie's going there.

Jolinda said...

Way to stick with it, Denise. And kudos for taking the younger kids!! That usually gets someone's attention.

I'm sorry it's so crummy. The school here knows me pretty well. I'm the control freak mom here...and that's okay! I know you're doing what's best for M and she will appreciate it, even if the school doesn't.

Lara said...

You won't find any middle school fans over here either.

Related Posts with Thumbnails