Sunday, September 28, 2008

Perfection Pending

Well, Troy is jet-setting around the world again.

And, I will have you know that we weren't just on time to church today, we were early.

So, I think that leads clearly to the conclusion that it really is Troy slowing us down on Sundays.

But, I would rather be late to church and have him with us, than be on time by myself!

And, on a semi-related note, I have started to attend the Gospel Essentials class (the basic Sunday School for newer or non-members of the church)...mostly because I can take Katie with me and no one seems to mind if she is noisy (which she usually is).

So, in addition to actually being able to go to class with my own personal noise maker, I have also been able to enjoy some of the most spiritual Sunday School lessons I can remember.

It is so funny to me that I should find so much powerful doctrine, really essential to my eternal salvation, in this class called Gospel Essentials, as opposed to the one entitled Gospel Doctrine.

Now, don't get me wrong, I always enjoy going to Gospel Doctrine, but what I have found missing in that class, as well as in Relief Society, is the opportunity to talk not only about WHAT we are supposed to do, but really HOW we are supposed to do it.

I don't know why there is an assumption that if we are lifelong members of the Church that we might have any better understanding of how to do things than newer members of the chuch.

I think most people struggle, at one time or another, and everyone has personal hills and valleys in their spirituality, but we don't talk about it.

I don't know if it's because we are afraid of how it might make us look to others, but I guess I just never had that fear.

I am a spirtual person. I have a testimony. But I still struggle with my spirituality and find I have ups and downs. But I think admitting this violates some unspoken rule in the church that we are supposed to be perfect and have it all down right now.

Frankly, in my book, that's a bunch of crap...because if we had it all down, if we were all as perfect as we really seem, well then, we wouldn't need to be here, now would we?

Oh...apparently, I have gotten out the soap box again...okay...let me climb down, and just say that I am really enjoying Gospel Essentials and I guess I will just have to be happy with the knowledge that I have finally found the benefit of having a noisy little daughter at church.

8 comments:

Emily Merchant said...

Amen, sister. Usually it is just my husband who gets that rant from me, but I would join you on that soapbox anyday -- Is there room for two?

The Beatty Beehive said...

When Rick was bishop, we were always early, because we didn't have to wait for him. Now he changed the time we leave and the teenagers are always dragging and he wonders why we are late. Duh, you have to say that you are leaving 30 minutes before you really want to. love you guys!

Lara said...

I've always enjoyed Gospel Essentials (or primary for that matter) over Gospel Doctrine. :)

Floyd Family said...

That is why I love being in primary. It is simple, clear and beautiful. (And noisy!)

lbugsh2 said...

You see the reason we go now. You can be noisy and I get more out of the lessons. Keep coming we need more talkers.

The Valentine Fam said...

We go to the Gospel Essentials class so that Kody can run around!! You are right, no one seems to mind in such a small class. And it's always good to return to the basics once in awhile.

Amy said...

I love Gospel Essentials!

When I need a dose of real, spiritual, upliftingness, I go to that class.

Jolinda said...

My Troy has been a stak/ward missionary or the ward mission leader for most of our married life. Because of this, we have mostly attended the Gospel Principles or Essentials class. I loved it!

Troy is now the Gospel Doctrine teacher and I have to say, it is so nice for me to attend his class. He's always made the scriptures fun and easy for me to remember and learn. It's been a nice change of pace for us, but I understand your love of Gospel Essentials too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails