Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ring Out Wild Bells

There is so much to having a big family that you don't really think about.

Like getting to church.

It isn't like everyone gets up, and gets dressed, and is just waiting by the door to get to church.

No. It's more of a kick back, laze the day away attitude...and unless you motivate the children to get ready -- they don't.

Well, last week I decided that we needed to make a better effort to get to church on time...so I started getting ready even eariler than usual, and got all the kids ready...and wouldn't you know it, Troy wasn't ready.

Well, we had a little "discussion" about it on the way to church and decided that today, we would be on time. In fact, Troy decided, we would be early.

Well, if you are familar with the phrase the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" you might think they had our family in mind when they coined it.

But, we actually did it (I know, you were thinking I was going to say we were late! It's okay, I'd doubt us too!)

We got up, we got ready, we even managed a little lunch...and throw in getting ready for Troy's duties as Primary Chorister (which, someday, I will do a post on how when one spouse gets a calling, why does it mean that the other one has it too? Beacause really, when you call a man to be the Primary Chorister, who do they really think is going to make all those visuals? Oh, sorry, maybe that won't be another post after all.)

Anyways...it was a little crazy, but we were early to church today. We even got to sit in soft seats...although at 10 minutes early we got the last spot (really, there is something wrong with that!!!).

So, what I really wanted to say was, this is when our churches not having bells is sort of a disappointment...because surely, if we had them, they would have rung today!!

And, on an unrelated note...

After I got done doing Becky's hair today, she looked up at me and said, "I pretty Mommy?"

eek. Melt my heart, why don't you?

5 comments:

Puhlman said...

SO that is why I didn't see you in your usual spot in the back. HMMMM. I had good intentions of being early today too. Well I was a couple of minutes early but we ALWAYS sit in the back no matter what time we get there. Otherwise everyone gets disrupted by the Puhlmans. There is another thing about big families (well atleast my big family)..............the noise level is VERY VERY HIGH. And mom's patience gets VERY VERY LOW. CONGRATS on being early. Maybe we will have to turn this into a race. The Puhlmans versus the Beatty's. SO we will see who gets there first this Sunday and I can almost bet that if you tell your kids you are racing they will surely go FAST to get ready.

Melanie said...

Super cute page! And way to go on the soft seats! It's ridiculous how early you have to start! I'm dreading 9am church next year!

Amy said...

Way to Go! I love getting to church early- it's so much easier to be in a good mood!

I had to join the choir to get soft seats in our chapel. And choir meets 45 minutes before Sacrament Meeting.

And on Fast Sunday, if you want to sit on soft seats you pretty much have to pitch your tent on the church lawn the night before.

Guess it could be worse.....

Kimber said...

Cute, cute page!

I was proud of our family..we were also early for our 9 a.m. church today (unusual most Sundays)!

Anonymous said...

Funny how much harder it is to get to church at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. We usually realize shortly after noon that no one's fed or dressed, much less bathed. Makes for a fun set of meetings.

Related Posts with Thumbnails