Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lucky 13


So, today is our wedding anniversary.

Can you believe that it has been 13 years?

Holy cow. When did I get old enough to have been married 13 years?

I guess it was the same point at which I became old enough to have six kids!

So, today, I want to tell you 13 things I love about being married to Troy.

1. He is incredibly kind, and sweet, and always trying to think of little ways to please me (even though I don't always appreciate them the way I should!).

2. He is incredibly competitive...and there isn't anything I like better than a little friendly competition!

3. He has finally learned the proper way to have an argument...although he likes to tell people that he only does this to please me, and for no real need of his own (Don't you believe him, not even for a second!).

4. He is really intelligent, and we can talk on any subject...although you have to watch him here, or he might tell you his "theory" on the topic.

5. He has a "system" for absolutely everything...again, beware, or he'll tell you about it. But after 13 years, I find this trait terribly endearing, and it actually makes me smile when he starts a conversation with, "I have a system for that..."

6. He is amazingly spiritual. No joking on this one. He has a deep and abiding testimony and does all that he can to honor his Priesthood and me as his wife. I could not ask for more.

7. He is always willing to pitch in...be it changing a diaper or cleaning a toilet. Although he does regularly like to remind me that I should be MORE grateful for this, since neither his father, nor mine would ever have done this.

8. I love that every year on our anniversary he always gives me one rose for every year that we have been married. I have kept every single one and look forward to the day when I don't have room to keep them all.

9. When I have a problem and I need to talk to someone about it, he tries incredibly hard not to try and fix my problem for me, but rather to listen and agree completely with anything I say. (It doesn't always work, but he does try REALLY hard!)

10. He is endlessly patient with me when I experience moments of self doubt or a lack of confidence...but thankfully he had stopped trying to get me to say affirmations. I know there are some of you out there who have experienced this side of him. It makes me smile.

11. He is amazingly optimistic and almost always happy. I had taken to calling him "Miss Merry Sunshine" which he doesn't really enjoy. But, I am happy to report that I can now (usually) enjoy this side of him.

12. I love that for all our differences, we have all the things that matter in common...and agree on almost all the big things. We may argue about the little things, but when push comes to shove, we are usually united.

13. And finally, I love being married to Troy because I cannot imagine a greater joy in life than to be married to my very best friend. A man who loves me, unconditionally, and whom I know would do anything in his power to ensure my happiness.

I can only hope and pray that I can be the kind of spouse to him that he is to me.

Happy Anniversary Sweetheart. I love you.

p.s. I know I'm the lucky one!

9 comments:

Amy said...

That's so sweet!

Congratulations! I hope you had a wonderful anniversary.

Yours is a marriage that mystifies me but when you describe it like you just did- it makes all the sense in the world.

Love ya both!

Tamee said...

Awesome! It was great to hang out with you all. I'll work up some courage by Nov. 7th.
Oh, check out my cousin Holly's blog. Way cute pumkins for a craft night.

Kimber said...

Congrats, and I hope you have a wonderful day.

DEl also likes to throw in the "you should be grateful I help out because our fathers never did" whenever he can!

The Valentine Fam said...

Happy Anniversary you two! That was a great list. We hope you have a wonderful day.

Sarah said...

Happy anniversary! Hope you enjoy your day.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Very cool, you have joined the lucky 13 club. Keep up the good work!

Lara said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the photo of you two and the sweet tribute to Troy!

Hilary said...

Awh...
You are VERY old.
{shock and awe}

Jolinda said...

You always say all the right things! He better appreciate what he has in you as well! (He's a Troy, I know he does!)Congrats... may you have many, many more to come!

Related Posts with Thumbnails