Thursday, January 24, 2008

Is this a compliment?

So I went to my Weight Watchers meeting today.

The conversation:

I was standing in line, waiting to be weighed in, when the woman behind me says, "Oh, your kids are so cute, can I have one?"

I said, "Well, I have plenty to spare, so I would be happy to lend you one."

"Oh really, how many children do you have?"

"I have six kids."

"Six kids?!?"

And the woman in front of me, who had been listening in, says, "Wow, you look great for having six kids."

So now I have to ask, is this a compliment?

I mean, I know she meant it to be one...but what is a woman with six kids supposed to look like?

And should I be grateful that I don't look like that?

What are the qualifications for looking great when you have six children?

Do I need to have already taken a shower?

Do I have to dress in something other than sweatpants, wear make up, or comb my hair?

Or is it enough that I even had the courage to leave the house?

What do you think?

7 comments:

Hilary said...

I think it's a reminder that when you give a compliement just say "you look great."
Period.
And frankly, everyone looks better with free (or almost free) makeup. :)

Amy said...

I think nowadays people think moms with 6 kids are not going to look hip- or frazzled- or not so put together (as in out of the house at all). I get a lot people tell me I don't look old enough to have any kids... perspective I guess. Hilary said it right, people should generally just stop before a preposition.

Andrea said...

She was saying "you're a hottie." Take it and run!

Robin said...

Let me tell you a little story. One evening Daniel and I were walking into Outback Restaurant for dinner. At the door we meet another couple.
I could tell that I knew her from some where but I couldn't place her. So I asked her if we knew each other. She told me that she taught an aerobics class that I attended. I then said "That's right! I didn't recognize you with your clothes on!"

(Brace yourselves, I'm about to be blunt.)

Actually I think we need to stop being so hard on people. We need to accept compliments when they are give (even if given poorly) and believe that most people are not trying to be insulting. Because I think most people aren't.

I can not count how many times I have put my foot in my mouth when I was just trying to be nice.

The thing is, we have the power to decide if we are going to take comments wrong. We are the ones who choice to make it a bad situation or turn it into a good one.

Sarah said...

You look great, period. I think most people are just shocked to meet anyone with six kids in the first place, so I'm sure she has no frame of reference. But we all know you're hot.

Kimber said...

I'm sure it was meant as a compliment, but it's a great reminder for all of us to think carefully before we open our mouths :)

Amy said...

See? Apply my principle of stopping before the preposition and Robin's comment would have been, "That's right! I didn't recognize you."

But she has a point- and I always know she is trying to be nice. Love ya Robin- call me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails