Tuesday, January 8, 2008

One Last Rant

Okay.

Troy is out of town and I have one last rant in me before I get back to blogging about all the funny things that my kids do. Plus, since this rant is about him, it will be at least a week before he sees it (if he sees it), so I am safe for a little while.

Troy is on a business trip. And as many of you know, Troy doesn't just go anywhere on business. No, no. When my husband goes on business trips, let's see...he goes to Paris, or Madrid, or London, or Budapest, or New Delhi. Where is he now? Oh, just Switzerland.

And what am I doing while Troy is jet setting around the world? You already know. (If you aren't sure, please see the previous rant.)

Anyway. The point?

The point that I am trying to make is not that I begrudge him these trips. I think it's great that he gets to go to all these exciting places. I love that he travels, and enjoys his work. My point is that after he is gone for a week, sleeping in really nice hotels, eating out at amazing places (on a per diem, no less), and not once having to get up in the middle of the night to soothe a cranky kid, he likes to call me and tell me how tired he is.

What?!?

You want to talk tired? (Once, when I was eight months pregnant with baby #5, Troy called me to tell me how tired he was after a week in London, because the show that he went to see on the West End went a little long. )

I know that he works. And if he is reading this, he would tell you that he works hard. Okay. I'll give him that. But do I want to hear about how tired he is? No.

He will tell you that "It isn't a contest". He will ask "Isn't it okay for both of us to be tired?"

No. Just no.

(P.S. I love him. I really do.)

6 comments:

Amy said...

I *completely* support you, Denise!

Perhaps your reaction to Troy's statement is similar to mine when my retired mom says she's soooo busy and it just wears her out. Her 12-hour-workday daughter has no sympathy ;)

Kirsten said...

Denise, you will always get "who is the most tired vote." I am tired just thinking about you taking care of all those cute rug rats. Although, if Troy is suffering from jet lag, he could be very tired.

Kirsten

Shelby said...

I hear you on the travel. Dave can't sleep in any hotel (no matter how many stars) the first night. So he comes home from traveling to Italy, Germany, Scotland, Miami (all next week), and he's always exhausted. And ready for a home-cooked meal. Those fancy restaurants can be so exhausting.

I tagged you on my blog. Go read my blog to find out more.

Kimber said...

Denise, my vote is with you.

Robin said...

Things never change! :)

Troy said...

I really have an amazing wife who supports me in all that I do, and whom I love dearly!

What she doesn't blog about when I'm away on travel is how much I miss her while I'm away.

Oh, and just to clarify one point that I "like to call [her] and tell [her] how tired [I am]", is not entirely accurately. Usually, I end up calling late in the evening because of the time difference (it will be 5:00 or 6:00 her time -- which is 11:00 or midnight European time), and she asks, "How are you?". And it is in response to that question that I say, truthfully, "Well, I'm a little tired."

She's accurate on her blog when she notes that I tell her it's not a competition and that we both can be tired. But I do realize she is more tired than I -- being alone with the kids for a week on end -- and this is why she is so amazing because she still supports me in all my endeavors without nary a complaint.

I'm the lucky one!

Related Posts with Thumbnails