Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Sweetest Days

When you are young, it seems like the days last forever and tomorrow can't come soon enough.

But as you age, and especially after you have children, the days go by more swiftly, and before you know it, your children are big. And you are old.

Not that I am saying that you (or I) are old. Believe me, with every year that passes, what I once called old -- I now call just getting started.

But what I wondering is if I have savored it enough. Have I enjoyed it enough? Have I loved every moment?

Nope.

There are days when that last thing I want to be called is "Mommy." Those are the days when I wish they would say "Daddy" just a little more. But, then there are days when "Mommy, I love you" are the sweetest words I could ever hope to hear.

I know every age your children go through has something fun and wonderful to offer, but I have to say I am especially partial to the age when everything is AMAZING and the most mundane things are still fascinating.

I love that my five year old thinks he is the king of the world (second only to you Ben), that my three old is so proud of herself EVERY SINGLE TIME she uses the potty, and that the baby has the best little belly laugh that everyone who hears it just has to smile.

But as I write this, I realize, I also love that my 11-year-old still finds joy in being a child. She is right at that age where she feels like she should be grown, but still secretly enjoys being a kid. I love that my 8-year-old daughter is so ticklish that you can't even pretend to tickle her without her falling down laughing. And I love that my 8-year-old son is so tender hearted, when it came time to vote for a leader in scouts, he voted for the other boy (who won by just one vote), rather than himself, because he didn't want the other boy to feel bad.

I guess when it comes right down to it, I feel so lucky. And I am going to try and really enjoy this time when they are young, because I know that it will pass in the blink of an eye.

7 comments:

Kimber said...

Yes, the key is to enjoy the ride -even during the bumpy times. I look at Bronson and wonder that it's passed so quickly, and I feel extremely lucky that we get the chance to do it all over again with Mathison (at least, that's what I was telling myself at 5 a.m. today when he was screaming his head off!).

Robin said...

That was beautiful.

Hilary said...

We all need to savor everything a little more.

Andrea said...

Do you have a tissue? It must be hormones!! We should have a "lets be young day"!? Thanks for sharing these thoughts..it's got me thinking now and it will probably keep me up (again). P.S. I finished the family room!

Kirsten said...

Yes, you have amazing kids! I love that they make me special when I visit. Your kids are my fan club Denise, and I thank you for that.

Amy said...

I second Robin's comment.... and this has been something I've really focused on for this past year. I tried very hard to everytime someone said, "Mom, can you play a game with me" or "Mom, watch me do...." to always say "Sure!" It's been hard but it's allowed me to appreciate the kids more.

Amy said...

Thanks for the window into motherhood, Deni (c:

Related Posts with Thumbnails