Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pride Cometh Before The Fall

Do you ever have days where you wondered why you even got out of bed?

In the continuing saga of my "I Love Lucy" life (see here for original thought), today I ventured out to the mall.

Let me start by saying that tonight I am going to attend a baby shower for a good friend, with a bunch of other friends I haven't really seen in a while. I am looking forward to this, but at the same time, I have been worried about what I was going to wear.

(For those of you who haven't seen me recently, I have been losing weight. And I have lost just enough weight so that I don't actually have anything that fits me...and while this is a good thing - the state of my wardrobe leaves much to be desired!)

Anyway. The point? Well, the point is that in this group of women I am the biggest one. There's nothing wrong with that. Somebody has to be the biggest, right?

But really, I am happy with myself, and quite proud of the weight that I have managed to lose. I look better than I have in years. But when you hang out with a bunch of size two women, who always look put together, and shop at someplace other than Wal-Mart for their clothes, you can't help but feel a little...you know. (BTW, I also know that these women could care less about how I look, and that it's totally me...but what can I say? I have issues.)

So I went to mall. I actually thought that I would get a little exercise in as well, so I loaded the kids up in the stroller. I walked around the mall and did a little shopping...of course I still don't have anything to wear tonight, but that is a different story.

Before leaving the mall I stopped in the Target to get soda. Well, I had to put everything in the stoller, since I didn't have a shopping cart, and as we left the mall, CRASH, out fell the case of soda.

Since we are talking about me, you know it wasn't just a simple let's pick up the case of cans. Nope. It had to rip apart, send cans flying everywhere, and again, as if that weren't enough, the cans couldn't just fall out and roll around, no, a couple had to puncture and spray all over everything in the vincinty (again, we are talking me, so you know the only one who actually got hit by any spewing soda was me).

Can you say "Embarassing?"

Then as I tried to get the kids in the car, my now empty stroller rolled away. After I finally got in the car, I sat for a while wondering what I was I doing at the mall in the first place.

Vanity. What has it ever gotten me?

6 comments:

Andrea said...

That cheered me up! Wish I could have been there to see it! Were there witnesses?? If it makes you feel better, the same thing has happened to me before at the same store but on a much smaller scale! I quickly ducked into my car as the soda sprayed all over Evan and the surrounding cars. He thought it was great!

Hilary said...

I have chosen to focus on the positive: YAY for weight loss. :) And being around people who are skinny will only benefit YOU -- at least that's what I always tell MYSELF. :)

Sarah said...

That sucks, Denise! I've had similar experiences where you're trying to gather all your spilled goods while your child screams hysterically, etc. Ah, the joys of being a mom. Hope you at least had fun at the shower!

Troy said...

I firmly, and deeply, believe this was a sign: You are supposed to give up drinking Coke (which I've tried to get you to do for 12 years!). Seriously. Why else would this happen?!?!?

Amy said...

OK- I've seen you recently and you are in the category of small women. My Lucy Moment? Coming out of Sams club in the rain with a full flat cart. I had bought a huge tub of those peppermint buttermints (for my new glass jar from Dawn) The Provo Sams parking lot goes slightly down hill as you walk out to the car and the peppermints slid off- the tub cracking open and the individually wrapped peppermints spilling out all over - again I remind you- in the rain! So I know what you're going through- 'course in my case it's a lifetime of Lucy moments- must be the red hair.

Robin said...

I'm with Troy! J/K

Actually I have a bone to pick with your husband. Doesn't he know that it is his job to make sure that you feel your best. There is nothing worse than losing a bunch of weight and then having to wear baggy clothes. You deserve a shopping spree (even if it is only at Wal-Mart)!

Related Posts with Thumbnails