Thursday, March 20, 2008

Strong, and Proud of It

Becky came up to me and said, "Look mom, I'm frong. Frong like a boy."

(That's STRONG for those of you unversed in Becky. And this is her "frong" face.)

She said, "And look, I can jump like a boy. I am like a boy."

Now, I am not a big women's libber...I know my capabilities and I have total confidence in my ability to do whatever I set my mind to. But I don't think that men and women have to be exactly alike to be equal. I think that men and women are different but still equal...and thank goodness for that.

BUT what she said really got to me and I can't even begin to think where she got the idea that to be strong, or to jump, or to do anything else that she needed to be like a boy. In fact, I felt so strongly about it that I sat her down and talked to her about how she could do whatever she wanted AND be a girl.

I know it's silly to get all up in arms about this...she's only three.

I guess it's just my "frong" side coming out!

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm with you, Denise. That would bug me too! Way to go on the pep talk!

Hilary said...

I hear you there. I'm quick to stop all stereotypes. I think that there are plenty of men who do women's work better then women and vice versa... bu twe take fairly traditional roles at our house. I am fast to point out to my kids though, that many parents choose to do it a different way.

Kimber said...

Denise you're right - "equal" does NOT equate to "alike", something that both sexes need to remember as we celebrate our differences. Personally, I'd take feminine strength over male "brute" force ANY day - men are wimps when it comes to the truly important things :)

Amy said...

Good Job! I think we all could do better when referring to our boys as "strong" and our girls as "pretty". Kids pick this stuff up! I think it's great to get a kick out these moments but to also use them as teaching moments!

Charlene said...

That is awesome! I love those teachable moments!

Puhlman said...

I wish I was a frong as Becky

Related Posts with Thumbnails