Monday, June 30, 2008

Paris, Day 2

Paris is a funny little city.

It was everything that I had hoped for and more than I expected. I have really enjoyed seeing all the sights. Today was no exception.

I went to see Notre Dame and it was awe inspiring. As I was standing out front, taking photos, the bells rang out and I could imagine Quaismoto up there, in the tower, pulling the cords.

The chapel itself was really wonderful. The stain glass was just beautiful and all of it was so serene. There were people lighting prayer candles and crossing themselves from a basin of Holy Water. It made me think that it would have been fun to be Catholic at that moment.

Then, came to endless wait for the an entry into the Tower, and the first of many stairs that I would tackle during my stay in Paris. The only amusement during my time in line was a funny little French man, wearing a Quaismoto mask taking pleasure in scaring the beejeebees out of passersby. Of course, he got a little more than he bargained for when one woman did not like his arm around her…she reacted instinctively and whipped his arm off her and twisted it into a painful knot behind his back.

Anyway, 300 stairs later, and I was looking face to face with the gargoyles that decorate the top of the church…I think it was worth the climb.

Later, I visited San Chapelle, a beautiful church filled with stained glass, the Ministry of Justice with all of enrobed personnel, and the Concierge, the former prison of Marie Antoniette.

I also went to the Louvre. I tried not to get too excited about this, because I have heard mixed reviews, but for me, it was really wonderful. I think that the Louvre is a really great example of something truly Parisian.

It is this amazingly old building, made of stone and weathered with age. But as you get to the entrance, and it's new, great glass pyramid, you find that the inside of the buiding has been completely renovated.

I really enjoyed the art. I even managed to elbow my way through the crowds and see the Mona Lisa.

Later, I met Troy for dinner and we dined at a little French bistro. I really enjoyed trying so many new and wonderful dishes while here in Paris. For dinner we had, crostini, gazpacho, crisp sardines with artichokes, duck with cherry sauce and polenta, and éclairs. Troy had a little French toast with confit that was to die for! Just picture in your mind that little scene from Lady and the Tramp with the checked table cloth and the single candle…I’ll leave it you to decide who was the Lady and who was the Tramp. Hehehe

The perfect French evening.

So, just a few more random observations.

The French like to smoke. They also like their wine and their coffee.

The French do not like to stand in line, and in fact, they really don’t. If there is a line, they just go right up to the front and butt in.

The French are not quick. Except when they drive.

And, finally, Paris is awesome!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Your dinner sounds YUMMY! You've got to learn how to make some of that stuff!!

Amberlyn said...

Wow, I am very impressed, and very envious!!! Paris looks amazing. I am so awed by old old cities and countries. Especially the architecture.

The food sounds amazing.

I'm so glad you had such a great second day in Paris.

Charlene said...

Those are amazing pictures. I want to go now!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails