Monday, June 23, 2008

1st Day in Paris!

[ETA: Here are the photos.]

[Note by Troy: Unfortunately, Denise didn't give me her correct login and password for the blog, so I couldn't post this while in Paris. We just returned today. Safe and sound. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, but we are glad to be back together with the kids. We very much appreciate everyone who watched them while we were away!]

Well, I made it. I didn’t forget my passport, and I didn’t get lost.

I know, I’m shocked too!

And, while nothing crazy has happened, I have already enjoyed a couple of fun adventures.

It started right way, on the plane when I sat next to the nicest man. Good thing too, since I spent most of the flight practically in his lap. He was so big, he took up his seat, part of mine, and still spilled into the aisle. Gotta love air travel.

On a related note, I sat behind a woman traveling alone with her four children. I really felt for her, but I have to say that I was incredibly grateful for the opportunity to fly without worrying about anyone but myself (and my large seatmate).

All the worries about the metro were also unfounded. I made my way to the hotel no problem. On a side note, I ran into a couple from my flight at the hotel. They had taken a cab and got there just about the same time I did. They paid $150. I paid $12. Troy was pretty pleased with himself here.

I made it to the hotel in time to have breakfast with Troy. I also got in a little nap before meeting Troy for lunch.

I was really looking forward to sampling French food and was excited to see where Troy would take me. Wouldn’t you know it, but he took me to a Chinese restaurant. Oh well. It was good, but I was looking forward to dinner.

We went and saw the Eiffel Tower. Amazing. Wondrous. Awesome! I mean, you know how sometimes, when you see something in person that you have longed to see, it doesn’t always quite measure up (this is how I felt about the White House)…well, this was not the case here. It rocked!









Now, on my own I went to the Musee D’Orsey, an impressionist museum. I really fell in love with some of the paintings and am really looking forward to spending more time with the art tomorrow.

Now, I got lots of advice on what to see and do and I’m happy to report I was able to check off having a crepe with chocolate, walking along the River Seine, and strolling the Champs Elysees.

I also got to see the Arc du Triomphe. Another fabulous monument.

Later, I met up with Troy for dinner. Guess where we went? If you guessed Chinese, you were right! Hahaha. Can you believe it? It was super good, but tomorrow, if it isn’t French, I am not eating it! [Note by Troy: Since I’m posting this for Denise, I’m taking the liberty of adding that Denise agreed to go to Chinese because it was fast (as compared to a typical 3-hour French dinner) and she didn’t want a long dinner because she wanted to do more sight-seeing; and I encouraged this decision because it was significantly cheaper than a French restaurant. No worries. We’ll have more than our share of French food soon enough. But doesn’t Chinese food in France qualify as French food?!?]

We also got to see the Eiffel Tower at night. Spectacular.

All in all, a truly amazing day.

And here’s some random thoughts:

The French never smile. They aren’t rude, but they don’t say hello, and they are not overtly friendly.

The French are very quiet. No one talks or makes noise on the metro. You could hear a pin drop.

The French have a different fashion sense than Americans. All the rage for women is to wear a long dress with slacks, and for the men, it’s pink shirts. Troy and I just have no hope here!

And, last but not least, be grateful for free, public restrooms. You never know what you got ‘til it’s gone!

Miss you all. Wish you were here.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I was in a little funk after seeing your pictures...I went and bought a baguette and some cheese! I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through you! Can't wait for your next post!

Lara said...

Welcome back to the US! I'm excited to read of your first installment of your adventures in Paris. What a fantastic trip for you both!

Melanie said...

Ugh! DYING of jealousy here! Can't wait to see pics, but I know you're leaving us again!!

Brianna said...

Doing things without our kids can feel sooo good! I'm glad you and Troy had an amazing time in Paris!

Kimber said...

Welcome home - knew you'd do great on your own :)

Can't wait to see the pics!

Charlene said...

I am glad that you made it home safely!! I can't wait to see the pictures of your adventures!

Amberlyn said...

Yay, your back!! I was so missing you!!!!!

I can't wait to see the amazing pictures that you took!!!

It sounds like you got off on a wonderful start. Can't wait to hear more of your trip!!!!

Jen said...

You will definitely remember this trip for the rest of your life. I had the opportunity to go to Paris 11 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. It really is a beautiful city. And how lucky are you to be there with your husband and no kids!

*Jealous!

Tamee said...

Denice, I miss you. Love the picture of Troy jumping! It was fun to read about all the travels of a world wide and cross country travelers. Let's do a picnic with the kids when we get back from AZ.

Related Posts with Thumbnails