Saturday, January 1, 2011

One Little Word

Can you believe it's 2011?

This year just flew by and for so many reasons, I am actually really glad it's over.

Many, many good things happened for us this year and I am grateful for each and every one.

But, it was also a year filled with personal and spiritual trials and I finally feel like I am on the other side of it.

I am not very good at keeping new year's resolutions, so I don't want to make any this year.

But, what I do want to do is find a little focus and make this year a really great one.

So, I am accepting one little word challenge issued by a favorite scrapbooking guru, Ali Edwards:

one little word
A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow.
I {have} a tradition of chosing one word for myself each January – a word that I can focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. 
Essentially the idea is to choose a word (or let it choose you) that has the potential to make an impact on your life.
Maybe you want to invite something or maybe you are hoping to subtract something. Maybe your word will be practical or hopeful or creative or fanciful. Maybe you need a big word, something in-your-face that will challenge you everyday. Maybe you need something smaller and quieter that will whisper gentle tidings as you make your way throughout the year.
So, the word I have chosen for 2011 is PATIENCE.

How very much I love the definitions I found:

Patience: the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without acting on annoyance/anger in a negative way; or exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties, the capacity to endure hardship, difficulty, or inconvenience without complaint. Patience emphasizes calmness, self-control, and the willingness or ability to tolerate delay, an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay; quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence.

People always tell me that I must have so much patience to have six children. I think maybe the Lord blessed our family with six children cause I don't have any patience at all.

So, this year I want to focus on having more patience. Patience with people. Patience with situations. Patience with myself. Patience to wait on the Lord and willingness to do His will.


Happy New Year! 

5 comments:

Monique said...

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, Denise! Wishing you health, happiness, creativity and lots of PATIENCE!!
Still thinking on my word for this year.....

Hilary said...

My word is sleep. :)
Ok, it's not. I do resolutions. I need to get on them.

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I did it last year and chose hope. I think I am still going to stick with hope again for this year...not sure. xo

Lara said...

I love this word of the year idea. I'll have to contemplate on what mine should be.

onehm said...

A great word!! LOVE it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails