Monday, October 27, 2008

A Light in the Darkness

Are you sick of gushing posts about my kids?

Too bad.

I just have to say, that the more Mikayla goes out into the world, the more and more proud I am of the wonderful person that she is.

She has courage and I really admire it.

Last Friday in Language Arts they had a sub and watched a movie. Several times during the movie they used mild profanity (the D word) and took the Lord's name in vain.

Mikayla was very uncomfortable with this, as well as with the violence in the movie.

Today, her teacher returned and was set to show the rest of the movie.

Mikayla told her teacher that she was uncomfortable watching the movie, the reasons why, and then asked if she could be excused from watching the rest. (All while the other kids in the class said that it was no big deal.)

In fact, Mikayla's act of courage inspired another student to also ask to be excused from the movie.

WOW.

She is such an example to me.

How many times have I PAID money to go and see a movie that had things in it that were inapporpriate? How is it that I can watch these same movies and be numb to these things that my daughter finds objectionable?

I am SUPER impressed with her firm conviction about what is right and what is wrong, and her willingness to stand up for what she KNOWS is right.

I am planning on following her example.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That's great!

That's got to feel good knowing she made the right choice.

It's hard to stand up to teachers and other students...good job Mikayla!

Lara said...

That's a hard thing to do--to stand up for righteousness in front of your peers. What a wonderful example she is to all of us!

Puhlman said...

OK that gave me chills. I am so proud of her too. Oh the days of having to do this are coming up very fast and I hope my kids can do what Mikayla has done. Mikayla will be the talk of our breakfast conversation this morning. Thanks for sharing.

Kimber said...

Tell Mikayla I am proud of her for standing up for her convictions; it can be a scary thing to do, and I'm glad that at least one other student followed her example.

Related Posts with Thumbnails