Saturday, July 5, 2008

Paris, Day 3

This was my last day to sight see on my own in Paris, and I really wanted to make the most of it.

So I started early and walked my buns off!

I wanted to see the Statue of Liberty here in France, a smaller version of ours in New York. It is kind of out of the way and I wasn't sure what to expect.

It is exactly the same as ours, only smaller. I was the only one there except for the occasional homeless person. I guess it's just a commentary on how the French feel about us.

Then I made my way halfway across Paris to the Dome Church. This was one of my favorite sights. The Church is actually two churchs separated by a large glass wall. One side was for the soliders to attend church and the other side was for royalty. They were playing the organ when I got there and it was pretty cool.

This is also where Napoleon was buried and although his tomb is just a big cherry box, it was fun to see his infamous hat and coat. He really was a little guy!


Next was the Picasso Museum and then the Pompidu Centre (Modern Art). Although I am not a huge fan of either, it was still interesting.


Then to the L'Ongerie...and I have to say my favorite museum in Paris. I had seen Monet's Water Lilies in photos, but I was unprepared for two rooms covered in giant murals...the Water Lilies are not these little framed portraits, like I was expecting, but rather, large, wall size paintings. They were AMAZING!!!!

The collection at this museum was just awesome!

Then, on to the Madeline, a church, and the Gallery Lafayette (the mall).

When I met up with Troy we topped off the day with a walk down the Seine.

It's easy to see why they call Paris the city of love! hehe

Anyway, I really enjoyed it all!

On an unrelated note, one thing that I found really interesting were all of the Americans who had brought their families with them.

Neither Troy nor I had done very much travelling abroad when we were young.

I have been all over the United States and even to Canada and Mexico, but it wasn't until I was grown that I went to Europe or Asia, but here were all these kids who were in Paris and having the opportunity of a lifetime.

So, were they enjoying themselves?

Well, some of the things that I was privileged to listen to:

Two teens and a younger sibiling talking to their parents over lunch were heard to say, "I'm tired of walking." "Do we have to go to another museum?" "This is SO boring."

Two children climbing up a light post next to a busy road, whose mom had told them to get down, "No, I won't unless you give me something that I want."

And one child whose parents were leaving to go somewhere else, "No, I don't want to go and you can't make me."

I, for one, was grateful for EVERY SINGLE moment I got to be in Paris. I hope that if my children ever get to go (when they are OLD like me), that they will appreciate the opportunity!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails