Monday, January 14, 2013

Full Circle

I love being a mom.

I have the best job in the whole world and feel entirely privileged that I can be a stay at home mother.

I have really good kids.

No. Seriously. I do.

And I have to remind myself of that fact each and every time they choose to use their agency in a way that drives me crazy.

Cause that never happens. lol.

I am in the middle of a struggle with a child that I love dearly, but who tries my patience in every possible way.

And I keep having to tell myself that she isn't doing it on purpose.

She is trying to live her life in the best way she knows how -- and I raised her to be thoughtful and independent  To think for herself and give life her all.

And doesn't it just rub when she does exactly that.

It's so hard when your children can't see the bigger picture.

When they think they know it all and have all the facts and believe with their whole heart that nothing bad will ever happen to them.

And they forget that it's your job as their parent to look ahead -- to see the obstacles and the guide them in the right way to go.

But so often, they feel that their limited knowledge is enough and that they are prepared for the journey.

And you can't stop the pain.

No matter how much you want to.

I miss the days when I used to be able to make it all better with a little kiss and a pat on the head -- when my kids thought I was a super hero who knew everything.

And I look forward to the day they can look back and realize that although I wasn't really a super hero -- I got it right at least some of the time.

I take great comfort in the fact that I was once this very child and I now very much appreciate the lessons my mother was trying to teach me -- even when I didn't understand them very well back then.

Here's to all the mothers out there who are doing the very best they can with what they have.

Keep on keeping on.




4 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh man, I hear you. ANd my oldest is a lot younger then yours.
I worry it's going to get worse...

Sigh.
Hang in there!

EmmaJ said...

You rock! I hope I can be this level-headed and thoughtful when I am in the thick of it.

Candice P. Harrington said...

I love this post - so heartfelt and so lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Candice P. Harrington said...

I love this post - so heartfelt and so lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails