Sunday, December 23, 2007

Code Breaking

On the list of things that I can say I am good at, I could add code breaker.

It isn't a skill I learned at a fancy training school, nor one that has any commercial value, but the fact that I can speak "kid" and many dialects therein is a skill that comes in handy.

This morning, for example, my 3 year old wanted to "shirster". But before she could do that she needed a frink" because she was "firsty" and could she please have some "frocolate" milk.

Now, for those of you not as well versed in "kid" as I am, she wanted to take a shower. But before she could shower, she needed a drink, because she was thirsty, and she wanted some chocolate milk.

"FRHUH?"

I know, it's amazing!

It's a skill that even amazes my husband.

This same child came into our room the other night just inconsolable. She was crying and my husband kept asking her what's wrong.

She just kept saying "Katie! Katie!" over and over. Troy assured her that the baby was okay and she could go back to sleep, but she wouldn't.

Her crying finally woke me up, and I listened for a moment to the conversation, and heard her say loud and clear, "Kiss me, Kiss me."

Well, for goodness sake, kiss her and send her back to bed!

Oh.

He leaned down and kissed her cheek, and she merrily toddled off to bed.

Of course, because there are many dialects in the language of "kid" there are bound to be times when all the skill in the world just won't help you.

My five year old had something really important to tell me the other day. He went on and on, and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't figure it out.

Finally, I just had to tell him that I didn't understand. He gave me that look (you know the one where it is so exasperating to them that they know so much more than you do?).

He then said, "Mom, why don't you speak my language?"

I don't know, son. I just don't know.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails