Friday, June 25, 2010

Roman Holiday, Part 2

The Italians are very stylish people. Really. They are.

But...how do you honestly walk down cobblestone roads in three inch heels and not break your leg?

I know I couldn't do it.

Troy was amused at my photos of all the crazy shoes people would wear sightseeing. But...I just couldn't help it.



I think my favorite part of Rome were the ruins. It's just fascinating to think about walking in places that are thousands of years old...places around since the time of Christ...and longer.

The Forum and Colosseum were wonderful. Rome is a city built on top of a city and the ruins are everywhere. The Italians have done a good job of unearthing them and restoring some as well.

This is what remains of the Temple of Saturn. It was originally built in the 4th Century BC and rebuilt in the 200s AD.


This is the sacred way...the main street of ancient Rome. It starts at Capitoline Hill and ends at the Colosseum.


At the end of the sacred way...just as you leave the forum and reach the Colosseum is the Arch of Titus, built in 82 AD. This arch inspired many others, including the Arc de Triomphe.


And of course, the most iconic Roman site, for me, is the Colosseum. Since our hotel was very near here, we were able to see it at many different times of the day. My favorite was just before dusk.



From inside the Colosseum.


The Arch of Constantine...built in 312 AD...marks his victory over Maxentius...and inscribed with the words instinctu divinitatis, inspired by the divine...and an indication of his acceptance of Christianity. He was the first Christian emperor of Rome.



This beautiful church is situated on the Eastern side of the Forum. It was built in the 800s AD. It is the Basilica of Santa Francesca Romana. Don't you just love the Madonna and child up there?



I loved Rome. I really hope to return one day, and see not only Rome, but all the cities of Italy.

In addition to all we saw, I cannot begin to even describe how wonderful the food was. I have a new found love for pasta and don't even get me started on the gelato.

Thanks to Shannon for the recommendations...San Crispino's gelato was to die for.

My only regret is that I always feel like such a geek taking photos of my food, so I don't have any to show you. I need to get over that and just do it.

One more post tomorrow about the Vatican.

Ciao.

10 comments:

Cyndi146 said...

Your pictures are gorgeous Denise! I am so glad to see you enjoying yourself ((hugs))

Mariko said...

These pictures are ridiculously beautiful! I have been amazed as I have been reading the posts.

And taking pictures of food and your meals is a MUST. My dad still takes pictures of almost all our meals in Japan, even though we have been there how many times now. You just have to attempt the greatness that is food.

Lara said...

Your photos look like they came from a tourist catalog. It looks like you're having a fabulous time. Rome is on my list of cities I hope to travel to someday.

Steve said...

That's so cool you got to go. I was (this) close to going a few years ago when I worked at IBM. Awesome!

Paulette said...

We are so glad you were able to go, looks like you guys had a wonderful trip. Can't wait to see you.

Kimber said...

What a beautiful city; I love the way you captured its feeling in the pictures! I'd love to go there some day.

Aussiegirl said...

I agree with Cyndi! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! I love the different photo effects you used too!

Helena said...

I've seen women wearing heels like that when walking up mountains in Korea.

onehm said...

LOVING these photos and your thoughts! You are making me wish I were there...
:)

shannon said...

Beautiful photos, Denise! Glad you enjoyed the gelato! Food photos are always some of my favourites looking back at trip photos. Nothing brings back the happy feelings of a fun trip like photos of drippy gelato and melt-in-your mouth risotto! Who cares about Michaelangelo and Bernini!

Related Posts with Thumbnails